Mr Smith has put recordings of him reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone , Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets , Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – all by JK Rowling, Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, A Streetdog Named Pup by Gill Lewis, Voyage Of The Sparrowhawk by Natasha Farrant, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C O’Brien, I Swapped My Brother On The Internet by Jo Simmons, Matilda by Roald Dahl, Running Wild by Michael Morpurgo, The Twits by Roald Dahl, Diary of a Killer Cat by Anne Fine, The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith and The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton on YouTube (roughly 1-2 chapters of each per video; the links are for playlists of videos).
You can find details of spellings and spelling patterns taught in Year 5 here.
Links and ideas to support learning at home:
- Earth School – 30 environmental quests to celebrate, explore and connect with the natural world. The quests can be undertaken in any order.
- Khan Academy – practice your coding or Maths
- STEM learning – a library of STEM activities to do in the home
- Science Kids – experiments at home
- The Ickabog – read J.K. Rowling’s new story online as it’s published
- Crash Course Kids – a range of educational videos focusing on science and engineering
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – new videos multiple times each week
- Play a Readings Eggs lesson – comprehension or spelling
- Art for Kids Hub – many drawing tutorials
- Linguascope – practise your world languages with the username ‘TBS’ and the password 20twenty
- Melody Signs – sing and sign with Makaton!
- TED-Ed – educational videos about everything
- Pobble 365 – a new picture and story starter every day for creative writing
- AutoDraw – pairing drawing with Artificial Intelligence
- Newsela – read news and adjust texts for different reading levels
- Coronavirus: A Book for Children from the Alex Sheffler, illustrator of The Gruffalo
- PE with Joe – daily PE sessions on Youtube
- Just Dance – search YouTube for new dancing opportunities
- Free ebooks on Amazon Kindle – check our list which was current as at 14/8/20. Prices may change in future.
- AudioElevenses – a daily read aloud with best-selling author David Walliams
- Oxford Owl – ebook library for 3-11 year olds, including coloured book band ebooks (video guide here). Check with your class teacher for login details
- Storytime Online
- Story Time From Space
- International Children’s Digital Library
- World Book Day Storytime Online
- Literacy Shed for creative writing ideas and inspiration
- White Rose Maths Home Learning – this site supports TBS’s and Maths No Problem’s approach to learning concepts
- Chatterpack – a list of online, free, boredom-busting resources
Kids Activities Blog – a list of education companies offering free subscriptions due to school closures